Juvenile Law

Juvenile Law

If your son or daughter is facing a delinquency hearing, this could be a turning point in his or her life — for better or for worse. A juvenile arrest is sometimes a wake-up call that your young person is in trouble. It is essential to heed that call and to take this opportunity to make positive changes.

Working for Your Best Interests

Unfortunately, juvenile court may not be the best place to make those constructive changes. If your teenager doesn’t have experienced, effective representation, the juvenile court may be more punitive than helpful. The outcome may focus more on punishing your child for mistakes than on putting him or her back on track.

Our attorneys are committed to helping young people who are involved in the juvenile court system find ways to truly resolve their problems. We are here to help.

One of our attorneys, Julie Henson, is a former assistant public defender in Oklahoma County as well as a former assistant district attorney for Logan County. She has more than 15 years of criminal law experience and devotes a large portion of the practice to representing juveniles. She handles a wide variety of cases in Oklahoma juvenile courts, including “deprived” or “delinquency” cases, representing either the minor or the parents, as appropriate.

Juvenile Delinquency Attorney

Juveniles can be charged with any criminal offense that an adult could be, but their cases are most often handled in the juvenile courts. When a minor is charged with a crime in juvenile court, it is called a “delinquent” case. Our lawyers have extensive experience handling cases in the juvenile justice system in Oklahoma, and we understand the potential options for resolution. We defend juvenile clients against a wide variety of criminal charges, including:

  • Underage DUI and DWI and drunk driving
  • Drug possession and other drug charges involving marijuana, meth, cocaine or prescription drugs
  • Possession of other controlled substances or drug paraphernalia
  • Truancy
  • Shoplifting, vandalism, theft or other property crimes
  • Burglary and robbery
  • Rape or statutory rape
  • Assault and battery
  • Shootings and other violent crimes
  • Youthful offender

Juvenile Law

Sometimes because of a child’s age and the offense, the case is handled in district court under the title of youthful offender. We have extensive experience handling youthful offender cases and can advise you on the best way in which to address these matters.

‘Deprived’ Cases: Child Abuse Or Neglect Allegations

When the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS) files allegations of child abuse or neglect against you, the consequences could range from requiring supervised visitation to — in the most serious cases — termination of your parental rights. The vast majority of parents in this situation are simply people who are going through hard times and do not know how to meet the demands upon them.

We represent parents in deprived cases, always working toward the goal of reunification with their children in a positive environment. Whether DHS took action due to a misunderstanding or because of drug abuse, there are things you can do to keep your children. We will take the time to listen and help you decide on the best way to make whatever changes are necessary to resolve the situation.

Leave a Reply